Geez! Where do I begin? Well, I was doing some fun "Google" stuff when I searched the following...."Pros and Cons of Moving to Hawaii from Las Vegas". We've been pondering hard, as a family and due to several unfortunate events, to moving back home to Hawaii. After much thought going back and forth with pros and cons, we still got nothing. No decisions have been made. We have no clear idea of what is right and wrong. We, for lack of better words, are a "Hot Mess" in the making lol! Ummm...I still am but needed to get some thoughts out. Isn't that what blogging is about? LOL!!
So, getting back to my Google search of "Pros and Cons of Moving to Hawaii from Las Vegas", it was interesting how there was SO much point of views, positive and negative. Some people with opinions were born and raised in Hawaii, some were military and there to "try", some moved for 5 plus years and left, some are living there now. Some opinions were offensive, as a true blooded Hawaiian, to me because people throw the "Hawaiian way" into everything when it's a fact that there is too much influence from all around the world. It's not realistic really. Anywho...it made me think hard.
I am minority here on the Mainland. It was hard to swallow when I first came. Being "accepted" in Hawaii because it was home to me was easy. Having to prove yourself and dealing with people automatically judging you because you are not blond or light skin, was hard I'm not going to lie. Having to correct someone who wrongly labeled you another nationality, was and still is irritating. BUT....moving, although unfortunate events took place, was a great learning experience. If you never experience ANYTHING other than what you know growing up, you have not yet lived. It's safe to assume you know about living elsewhere but you don't know ONE thing unless you experienced it first hand. I am glad that God blessed us this learning experience. It makes me appreciate WHO I am, WHAT I know, WHAT I believe in, WHERE I came from and WHO I will always be. I am altered in a positive way, but will stay true to myself.
The opinions given from those people aforementioned, made me proud and sad at the same time. PROUD because my Home is beautiful. We have beautiful cultures. We have wonderful food. Our beaches are amazing. Hiking is gorgeous. Hidden beauty is EVERYWHERE. There is similar places elsewhere BUT there is only one Hawaii. We are culturally kind and filled with an Aloha Spirit that can be learned but will come natural if you were brought up in it.
The opinions that made me sad were when they, the person who visited Hawaii for 2 weeks, felt like the minority as a white person. They were called F'ing Haole on several occasions. They were threatened by "Hawaiians" who didn't like them in the area that they were in. They were discriminated against because they were different. I know the feeling and it is not pleasant. Now that I am put in their shoes, being brown and in the Mainland, I will never discriminate nor make anyone feel unwelcome in my Home (Hawaii). NOT that I ever did but I will make sure I never do that ever. It sucks! It's unacceptable. It's sad.
Where am I going with this? Really...I'm not sure. Their opinions leave me pondering more. What are the pros and cons of living here in Las Vegas and WHY move? What are the pros and cons in Hawaii and WHY move there? I have no clue and am still looking for that final answer. In the meantime, I'm in prayer mode. Taking in what I can.

No comments:
Post a Comment